Saturday, July 12, 2008

Love.

If you hate someone, you hate them. There's no, "I hate you but I'm not in hate with you." It's solid. It doesn't change.

Not like love. That changes from person to person, from subject to subject.

This weekend, I saw the two extremes of love -- that of a new mother and child, and a couple in love.

My best friend finally had her son on Friday afternoon. She had a fairly rough pregnancy, considering she's so tiny and the baby was big. But it all happened quickly. Connor was born without incident, beautiful and a perfect 6 pounds, 10 ounces.

When I walked in to see her in the delivery room, I couldn't help but tear up. She was beautiful, glowing like I'd never seen her before. And he was flawless, full of innocence and instinctual love for his mother.

It was the purest form of love I've ever seen. I couldn't help but be blessed to be a part of it. All of a sudden, my best friend had a new family. And you could tell she was more in love with her life at that moment than ever.

That afternoon, I drove home to see my boyfriend. It was his last night before graduating Airborne school at Fort Benning. He just had a few hours of free time before he had to be back at the base.

When I saw him, he got out of his car, and ran to pick me up and hug me. You should have seen the way he looked at me. He's done it a few times before, but not always. Wide-eyed, dreamy. I imagine the same way I look at him.

I knew then, as I've known for awhile, that we were in love. And nothing, not distance or occupational hazards, could change that. It amazed me at that moment more than others before. And I'll never forget it.

Right now, I'm in love with love. And I don't care how obnoxious it is to everyone else.

Right now, if feels like it was made just for me and him. You know the kind ... where you feel like you're the only people in a crowded room. The kind where you want to see and touch each other at every moment of every day. The kind where you just sit and stare at each other, mapping out the details of their face.

It's totally lame, but totally lovely. You should try it someday.

No comments: