Friday, January 1, 2010

Beyond.

I had a friend that used to say that a lot. That he was beyond. He's French, so I always thought it was just some phrase that had gotten lost in translation.

How are you doing?, you'd say.
Oh, I'm just beyond, his reply.

Sometimes he'd elaborate. Beyond this or beyond that. I never knew what that meant until now. Turns out I was right. It is something lost in translation - but not how you think.

Last night I rang in the New Year with a group of friends. We bar hopped, I saw a few people I hadn't seen in awhile, and no matter where we went, it never failed. I bet you're excited about getting your man back soon, huh?

Everywhere I went, someone asked me about him. Or brought it up when I'd look at my watch to check the time. Or the few times in the night that I phased out and seemed to just be staring into space.

Beyond.

That's all I could think. I'm so beyond excited. Beyond being happy. Beyond feeling, really. Love, right now, is just pain to me. There is joy, of course, but with every joy there's hurt. I can't physically share anything with him right now. I can't touch him. I can't be touched. I can't look in his eyes. Or explain to him with mine how horrible or beautiful my days are.

Being alone and in love is so beyond what anyone can ever know. Separation is inexplicable. It seems like sometimes I'm the only one that does know. The only person who knows how tragic this has been.

Right now, there is no counting down. It's beyond that. It's beyond watching the calendar or trying to figure out how many minutes have to pass before I can see him again. It's like being lost in space.

I just want him home. I want to feel like I'm not some zombie just going through the motions. I want to feel like my days are about more than just staying busy. I want to feel like everything I could ever want is within my grasp again. Not beyond my control.

1 comment:

Christa Jennings Blanks said...

In reading this entry, I thought you might appreciate and enjoy this quote:


"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists. . . . When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
-- Edmond de Goncourt (1822-96) and Jules de Goncourt (1830-70), French writers. The Goncourt Journals (1888-96; repr. in Pages from the Goncourt Journal, ed. by Robert Baldick, 1962), entry for 15 Nov. 1859.